Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How I Quit Smoking

I have recently after starting to experiment with my mind and body through Tantric meditation thought about death. The very Idea of death was scary.
Later I started remembering the few occassions I have been to the death ceremony of my relatives and friends family and I forced myself to go through the same feeling and emotional turmoil I was in when I attended these deaths. I also remembered the numerous occasions when I read about deaths, Killings and bombings through Newspapers.

I was able to find the difference between witnessing death and hearing about death though my Intellectual logic strongly told me that death is the same on both the occassions. I was angry with my self for not treating death on both the occassions with the same degree.
I meditated on this thought for a week and was amused at what I found. The degree of Impact that death had on me was only because of my attachment to the object of death directly or indirectly. I was very happy that I found the answer.

But , I decided to confirm the truth of this finding and wanted to experiment. I was sure that the only way to experiment on this is to die. But again, I wanted to live through this experience and not die with the experiment. So I decided to let go of something that I am very attached with. The very thing that came to my mind was smoking. I felt that to leave smoking and controlling the urge was like the very act of dying. I thought this would be the best way to experiment.

I stopped smoking at 9:30 PM of 1st October 2008. The next day morning (2nd October) at around 11:30 AM,I was having the urge to smoke. I thought about death and said that I will go through this experience with out smoking by attaching myself to that urge. I went through such pain and agony and could feel my body craving for Smoke. By afternoon, I thought that I will go mad if I go through this pain.

At around 2:00 PM I wanted to experience this with out my attachment towards the urge. I strongly said to myself that If this very habit has to control me so much then I cannot be a human being with dignity and pride and I allowed my EGO to fully occupy my mind and consciously told myself that this urge for smoke will not kill me if I don't smoke and that this urge will leave me once it finds that it cannot fight my undettered will and trust me with in a few minutes, I was completely free from this urge and I used to go through attachment and detachment of this urge ( of smoking) with out smoking at my own will. When I instructed my mind to get attached to smoking, My body was craving for smoke and the next moment when I ordered my mind cease attachment, my body and mind were free from this urge. Once I started experiencing the experiment I decided that I will renunciate smoking for ever.

Come what may, Always remember, be it day or night, the SUN never knows darkness

No comments: